Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: How can UreaAide™ raise the serum sodium without any salt?

A: If your doctor diagnosed you with SIADH then you are water logged. Lack of salt or sodium is not the problem. Inability for the kidney to excrete excess water is. UreaAide™ is an osmotic diuretic that will assist the kidney in ridding the body of the excess water. This will take off the dilution effect and raise the sodium level safely and effectively.

Q: I love the price of the UreaAide™ unflavored but I don’t love the taste. How could I improve the taste?

A: We strongly suggest mixing the unflavored UreaAide™ powder with 1/2-1 tbsp. of powdered Gatorade or G2. This will let you chose the flavor and add as much or as little as you wish to fit your taste.

Q: What is the usual starting dose of UreaAide™?

A: Your doctor should let you know the dose he/she would like you to take. Often the starting dose is 1 packet (or 1 scoop) twice daily.

Q: Why is UreaAide™ suggested to be mixed in only 4oz of water?

​A: Most often if you are recommended to take UreaAide™ then your doctor will want you to be on a fluid restriction. UreaAide™ was designed to taste great and dissolve completely in as little water as possible for this purpose.

Q: I have heard that if I take UreaAide™ I may be allowed to have more liquids. Is that true?

A: It may be true yes. Often patients will see great results with UreaAide™ and their doctor may advise a less strict fluid restriction. This is something you and your doctor would need to discuss.

Q: Is UreaAide™ covered by insurance?

A: This is a great question and a frustrating one as a doctor. The short answer is not usually, but worth exploring. You can call your insurance carrier and let them know your doctor has prescribed UreaAide™, a medical food for the management of SIADH/Hyponatremia. Let them know this is covered under your Medical benefit not your Pharmaceutical benefit or under DME (durable medical equipment). They will likely require a PA (prior authorization) from your doctors office or doctor. Your doctor may use the HCPCS codes B-4155 (EF/incomplete/modular) or the DME code A-9999 (DME supply or accessory, NOS) when submitting the form/documentation.

Q: Does UreaAide™ qualify as a medical expense and therefore may I use my HSA, FSA, or HRA card?

A: Happy to say absolutely YES! We can accept these forms of payment on the website directly, and if any issues arise, a simple form on our Contact page can be filled out to demonstrate the justification and sent in to your account servicer.

Other questions? Email us at or fill out the form below.